Monday, September 4, 2017

Light Switch - WeMo Smart Light Switch

Belkin's Wemo has been the "standard" for quite a while now and their smart plugs are very popular. Therefore, when I consider to change my light switch into a "smart" one, I consider Wemo first, although it is nearing the expensive end of the spectrum.

Upon opening up the package and start to read their brief installation guide, I knew I was in for an adventure. Since I don't really know house wiring too much, I quickly get online and consult YouTube and Google for how electrical wiring, especially light switch wiring, works. To my surprise, there are 4 wires to this WeMo light switch instead of 2 or 3. Also, the existing wiring does not really color code, as clearly and as nicely, as the instructions would have me believe. For instance, which of the wires inside of the wall is the "ground" wire? After trying to figure things out a little, I finally get the WeMo installed and manually working. Here comes the other obstacle! WeMo app on the phone can only control 1 WiFi location, but I have 2 and this is not in my house, the primary location. There is also no other way to configure the switch besides using the phone app, such as a website or a desktop app. Quite frustrating and a definite design issue. Once I install the app on another phone and configure the device, things are OK, but still far from ideal. Why would a name-brand maker created a situation like this where the app cannot control multiple houses and/or locations? Why hadn't the community cried about this already and insist Belkin to change their ways? Ultimately, I am considering to change this out to another brand where this is not a restriction anymore.

The phone app, outside of the above-mentioned restriction, is quite capable. It can configure the switch to turn on and off at certain time of the day or at sunrise or sunset. One can also configure it to turn itself off after x minutes from being turned on (good for the times you don't remember to turn off the light).

IFTTT

WeMo and IFTTT get along quite well and the applets got created easily. Although, there really isn't a need to do so because the phone app is quite capable in making things work. It can, nonetheless, be integrated to other triggers, such as the ringing of the door bell or the opening of the garage door.

Alexa

Alexa integration comes as a skill (WeMo). After enabling that skill, you tell Alexa to scan for smart home devices again and it will find all the WeMo devices. On the Alexa website, you can give the device(s) names. From point forward, all you need to say is, "Alex, turn on porch light" so some such. Quite handy, really.

Conclusion

I am not exactly happy with WeMo because of the multiple house location issue. This switch is also a single-pole switch (meaning it is a two-way switch) and cannot be used when there's a tree-way switch installed already (such as a stairwell situation with 2 light switches controlling a single light, which can be turned on when downstairs and turn off when upstairs [or vice versa]). As far as I know, there isn't a WiFi enabled light switch that addresses three-way situation. Going back to Z-Wave or Zigbee is also not desirable because I have yet to get either Wink or SmartThing hub to work properly and I had dumped Iris already...

No comments:

Post a Comment